© 2008-2011 Musings of Courtney All Rights Reserved.
Please ask permission before using any portion of my blog. Thanks!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Because life can never be easy...

And I wouldn't expect it to be.

Last night Jake got a phone call saying that his cows were out. They go through phases and there won't be any problems for 6-9 months, then suddenly they will be out 4 times in 2 weeks or so. To keep them from becoming a problem we had to move them. There is an Officer that is semi-harassing Jake about the cows so we are trying to diffuse the situation as pleasantly as possible. We had Hubby's parents and elder brother with his family come to help us move them. Jake had two friends and one of our neighbors came to help us out. Since we were at Hubby's parent's house when the call came from Animal Control, Hubby and I were still in our church clothes. We didn't have time to change before it was time to move cows.

Needless to say, that lovely outfit I wore to church, complete with almost 3 inch heels, was what I wore to chase cows in. Now to properly visualize this, you have to picture me running through knee-high grasses with a section of mid-shin high thistles mixed in. Ouch. Plus, the ground isn't the most level so I almost face planted a few times. Kelli, my sister in law was out there helping in flip-flops and I finally gave up and let one of Jake's friends do the running because I almost wrenched my ankle a few times and didn't want to break it.

After running around in my heels, I decided that it was better to just go barefoot because I could keep up with everyone that way. I kicked my shoes to the side of the road (and my in laws picked them up later) and took off running. I was quite the sight running down the road, barefoot, in a maroon skirt, herding stick in hand!



We got the cows moved and you know it's bad when your brother in law offers to give you a piggy back ride down the road to save your feet from getting torn up. I did decline because at that point there was nothing else to really be done for my feet other than to keep on walking.

We got 30 head moved around and they've all stayed in so far! We are hoping and praying they'll stay in so Jake won't have any more issues with this Officer. My kids didn't get to bed until after 10 pm, but they had a blast with their cousins and watching all the parents chasing cows!

This adventure was almost enough to make me break my no horseback riding on Sunday rule. I guess technically it wouldn't be breaking it since I wouldn't have been riding for pleasure, it would have been to alleviate problems, but skirt notwithstanding, if I would have had a halter and lead rope in the car, I would have been on a horse.



Thankfully, the only casualty from this adventure are my feet, although a self administered pedicure when I got home did wonders, and my stockings. Although I loved the pattern on them, I didn't think to take them off with my heels otherwise, they would have been saved. Oh well, I'll just have to watch Target to see if I can find some more like them.

No comments: