I didn't think to get pictures since I was watching my friend's children while she was busy bringing their newest little child into the world. We had a crazy, busy day, with lots of playing, running, dancing, singing, roughhousing, and fun. Thankfully the new little one is here, although she was born with pneumonia so she is in the NICU while they figure out which type she has. The hospital in Provo said with all the babies they have each year, the cases of babies born with Pneumonia is 10 babies per year! The little lady is doing okay though. Her vitals are good, it will just take time.
Now on to pie crust. I used King Arthur Flour's Gluten Free Pie Crust and made a few modifications to it. I'd never used this recipe before, but I try not to use xanthan gum or guar gum when I make things at home. I was reasoning since those are two modern inventions and I am not totally sold on the need for them nor the healthy use of them yet, I would look for a realistic substitute.** On Gluten Free Girl they talk about using ground flax seed or ground chia seed as substitutes for the gums and I've been trying the flax seed in my from scratch recipes.
So my modifications were:
- I used the directions for the brown rice flour mix that is on the King Arthur site. I haven't felt the need to buy their pre-packaged baking flour mix yet.
- I forgot to pre-mix my wet ingredients and whisk them all together until they were frothy. (That happens when you are chasing extra kidlets!)
- I used flax seed instead of the gum, but this time on a whim, I decided to double the flax seed and see what would happen.
- I only chilled the dough for an hour, I think a few hours would be preferable.
Hubby tasted tested the crust first. He said it was great for a first attempt and not bad in comparison to the normal crusts I make. I think it cooked a little long, but it needed to so the quiche would be cooked. The crust under the quiche was lovely though. I guess that means I'll have to adapt the quiche filling to be a bit less wet. It was a little dry on the parts that were above the quiche, but had a nice flavor overall.
I'm glad this wasn't as difficult as it mentally seemed. There is some work to be done on it,but hey, I think it'll end up being almost as easy as normal pie crust!
** I just need to research the gums more, plus the cost of them is fairly expensive for a bag even though you don't use much of them and since the startup cost of switching our foods is semi expensive while we figure this out, I didn't want to buy one more thing that I didn't absolutely need to. I may decide I need them in the future, but right now things are in a workable, okay state without them.
No comments:
Post a Comment