© 2008-2011 Musings of Courtney All Rights Reserved.
Please ask permission before using any portion of my blog. Thanks!

Monday, January 2, 2012

Drop Biscuits



I miss the days of easy baking. Grab a bit of this, a bit of that, throw it together and more often than not, you have something good. I love to tinker with cookie recipes, fiddle with cakes, play with bread dough. Now, it's a lot harder and suddenly I have to motivate myself to cook ANYTHING, let alone any sort of breads. I have to think about things differently. Thank goodness for friends and the internet to find new ways to go about baking. These biscuits are from Pamela's Products, and it is made with her Baking Mix. I hate having to rely on a mix, since we normally make most our stuff from scratch, but since I feel like I am about 8 years old and learning the finer points of baking again, it helps. The goal is to eventually get back to cooking from scratch, but in the mean time, I can use the Baking Mix and get something that looks mostly like it should and frees up time with learning to cook gluten free.



It's been a huge adjustment to think that my doughs should be batter consistency, my cakes will not rise any higher once I pour them into the pan, and the only way to make something fluffy is to beat it longer to whip air into it.



Having said that, these biscuits were a huge hit. They are fluffy, almost too fluffy. They break apart easier than I think biscuits should, and they definitely have a whole grain type taste to them. But, the kids love them, they are easy to make, and it satisfies the request to have bread/rolls/something with meals.



Until I get things under control in the cooking department, they are a great standby. The mix smells heavenly when you open the bag, I've used it for chocolate chip cookies and pancakes in addition to the biscuits and so far things are looking up!

No comments: