© 2008-2011 Musings of Courtney All Rights Reserved.
Please ask permission before using any portion of my blog. Thanks!

Saturday, August 4, 2012

July Costume Challenge Update

For July, I traced off the proper size of Sense and Sensibility's Elegant Ladies Closet Drawstring Gown and then cut out my sari. I cut all the trim and the big fancy border off then found out from some really helpful ladies that I should have left the fancy bit intact and the trim on and then I wouldn't have had to hem the skirt hardly at all! Live and learn though. Next time I make a sari dress, and there will be a next time, it'll have the fancy train on it! Here is the sari as I cut it out.
This is what the fancy piece of the sari looked like. I cut the border off and ended up cutting the flowers into 5.25 inch strips to border the skirt with.
I used some of the border to widen the skirts. In this portrait of Princess Charlotte you can see a center border on her gown. Since I was going to be short for skirt width and had extra of the sari border, I figured, why not?
Here is the front view of the dress as it is right now:
Here is the back view:

Here is a side view:
The drawstring is in place at both the neckline and the waistline. I still need to add the border to the neckline, waistline, sleeves and hem. It also needs a good pressing to make the pleats pretty and a real drawstring put in instead of a piece of ribbon that was handy. So in making this gown has made me realize I need a new petticoat or I am going to go crazy wearing it. The sari fabric clings to the petticoat I have currently, plus I want it to be slightly longer. Also for July, I found a fabulous fashion plate! It isn't for my sari gown, but it's for a plaid gown!! I absolutely love plaid, and this is great. I decided I absolutely need a plaid gown and so I am going to try and get it done for August. Here is a link to the gown: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51592109@N08/4837839744/

Goals For August:
  • Finish Sari Dress- Attach all trims, find a good ribbon for the drawstrings.
  • Plaid Dress- Cut out, put together, and finished.
  • Pelisse- Mockup done, Fashion fabric cut and put together.
  • Headwear- Capote- Cut out brim and attach wiring to it
  • Research petticoats and figure out what needs to be done for that.

1 comment:

vesna said...

bodiced no sleves drawstring petticoat in silk (slipery fabric is what you need) would be perfect to go under your sari gown, that by the way is georgeous

vesna