© 2008-2011 Musings of Courtney All Rights Reserved.
Please ask permission before using any portion of my blog. Thanks!

Friday, June 1, 2012

Regency Costume Challenge

The Jane Austen Festival Australia decided to host a Regency Costume Challenge and I thought it would be great fun to participate! Each month you set goals for what you would like to do and then report on your progress. You can go the link above to see the different participants projects and follow their progress!



My Project List:

For Myself:
Chemise
Petticoat
Converting a Spencer jacket into a half length Pelisse
Headwear of some sort
Reticule
Gown

For Little Miss:
Chemise
Petticoat
Gown
Spencer


May Project List:
  • Research Fabrics used during the Regency Period and try to figure out what would be appropriate and within my budget. Also ordering fabrics that are needed for my ensemble.
  • Search fashion plates for inspiration and documentation for my outfit ideas. Currently I am leaning towards an earlier Regency impression.
  • Making a mockup of a chemisette to see which style I like.
  •  Check the fit on my short stays and see if they will still work or see if I need to make a new pair. If a new pair is needed, I am debating on another pair of the S&S short stays and the full length Mantua Maker stays.
  • Figure out my dress style and so I can start making mockups.


Here are my stays:
They seem to fit well enough, although there are some things I would like to tweak on them if I have time towards the end! I don't like how the strap buckles a bit and it feels like it is wideset on my shoulder. If I have a time later, that will be corrected.

I want to make my outfit to go with this Spencer. I will be pulling the Spencer apart to redo it then adding length to convert it into a half length Pelisse.

Here are my  fabrics so far for the Costume Challenge. I am debating which color of sari I want to use for my gown.
I still can't decide between the Blue, Red or Green!
Cotton Voile, Lightweight Linen, and Silk Gauze. These will end up being either a Fichu or Chemisette. Please excuse the darkness of the photo. I couldn't get them to show up well.
Here is another Sari that I was thinking of using. It is actually more red than this and the vine patterns are more of an antiqued gold. I couldn't get it to show up right with my camera.
Here is the mockup of a Chemisette. I will probably try a different style during June to see if I like it better, but I really won't know until I decide on a dress style!


I still have no idea on the dress style, but I think I can settle that during June!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks good! The sari materials look lovely!

Unknown said...

Your really travelling well in the challenge, well done!

I love the red saree fabrics, but I also like the black and diamond print one. Hard choices :)

Courtney's Musings said...

Thanks Ladies!